Thursday, May 29, 2014

Friday, May 23

A beautiful painting of birds Paco gave me
because I told him Birds were my favorite
animals... I only said that because I didn't
know how to say Zebra or Squirrel in Spanish!
Per usual, I started my day at Solexico.  I’m finding the grammar and exercises we do in class to be wicked easy, but as soon as I have to have a conversation and listen to the words instead of read them, my mind just quits on me.  As I’m sure you could guess Paco was waiting for me in the courtyard…. This time with a giant bouquet of white lilies!  They were absolutely gorgeous, but Paco really can’t take a hint.  I tried to tell him I was busy, but he was just being so nice, I didn’t know how to say “I don’t like this” without sounding mean.  He asked me to go to the movies with him on Sunday and I told him I was going on a cultural excursion with Solexico and wouldn’t get home until late.

After he left, I started talking to my Spanish instructor and we created a great phrase to make Paco understand.  “Paco, tu eres muy simpatico, pero you no quiro un novio.  Nosotros solo somos amigos.”  Translated: “Paco, you are very nice, but I don’t want a boyfriend.  We are only friends.” Firm, but not mean.  My plan is to practice it all weekend so I’m ready to use it on Monday.

Octavio's flower choice today.
Today was also the day where we finally were going to learn what The Hub is.  If you remember, Rocky and I got the time wrong on Wednesday and had to reschedule for Friday.  We arrived at The Hub at 1pm…. But orientation was actually at noon…. We managed to mess up the times twice in one week.  I mean, they are in Spanish, but we need to pick up our game next week and make it to the orientation!

Rocky and I have another admirer back at our house.  Mrs. Irma’s son, Octavio, loves to greet us at the door with flowers.  Whenever he sees us coming, he runs somewhere in the yard to pick us a flower.  It’s a very sweet gesture and I’d much rather get flowers from Octavio than from Paco.

I didn't realize TVs like this existed anymore
until I came to Mexico and they're everywhere!
At 3:30, Solexico shows a movie in either Spanish with English subtitles or English with Spanish subtitles.  Rocky and I went and they played Amor Te Duele.  It was in Spanish, and basically a modern day Mexican version of Romeo and Juliet.  By modern day….I mean the 80s.  and by Romeo Juliet….I mean their love was forbidden and one of them dies.  Really is was just like Shakespeare.  Only much weirder with black and white style shots and too many close ups and naked people to feel comfortable.

Back at our apartment, we turned on the TV and enjoyed some Disney Channel.  Teen Beach Movie was playing and it actually was pretty good.  Very cheesy, but they spoke slow and had exaggerated facial expressions which made it easier to understand what was happening.  I will also admit to watching the Backyardigans and Curious George because children’s shows use basic Spanish that I can understand and actually learn new words from….

The streets were filled with people




Since it was a Friday night, we headed out to the Zocalo and watched our favorite clown perform.  Everything is so pretty at night here in Mexico.  It’s not like Boston where the night is beautiful but everyone has a destination.  Here in Mexico, there is no destination, you just wander and enjoy the weather.


The beautiful church in front of the Zocalo.

Paya, the clown, using all his muscles to
balance on the pole.

A little clown on a unicycle....with 3 wheels
...is that still a unicyle???

Rocky cooking Hot Cakes... they're just mini pancakes!




















The clown, named Paya, invited us out dancing after his performance, but Rocky wanted to go home because she was tired and I didn’t think I should go alone with a strange man…. Aka have all my clown nightmares come true!  He invited us to join him at the Corona Music Festival in Oaxaca the following night and we friended each other on facebook.

I also got to pet a cute little fluffy white dog! And run away from a huge cockroach that no one else seemed petrified by.

My night ended with a fun Skype session with Gabriel.

Dulces SueƱos,

Maria Katerina

No comments:

Post a Comment