Friday, May 23, 2014

Wednesday, May 21

Today was a more casual day.  I woke up and walked to Solexico for Spanish Class… it’s only 3 blocks away.  One of my classmates, Jackson (a 27 year old doctor from Australia), brought in Chapolines for breakfast.  Chapolines are grasshoppers!  They are fried and have a garlic or chile seasoning on them.  They are extremely popular in Oaxaca, but I have no intention of trying them.  Everyone else dug in, including my roommate Rocky.  I kind of with I was more adventurous, but then again, I don’t want a bug leg stuck in my tooth.
Rocky trying Chapolines for the first time.
After class, Rocky and I walked to The Hub.  Honestly, I’m not quite sure what is… We thought we had orientation at 1pm, but it was actually at 4pm and I had already made plans.  So orientation is rescheduled to Friday and then I will tell you all about The Hub.
The Hub: don't know what it is yet, but it looks pretty cool.
Look at the Pigeon on top of the umbrella <3



Somehow I ended up meeting Paco, my hairdresser, for lunch.  Guess where we went?  Terranova, which is a delicious restaurant in the Zocalo, but I’ve already been there 3 times…. It’s actually the only restaurant I’ve been to in Oaxaca.  Since Paco’s English is very bad and my Spanish vocabulary is very limited, we spent a lot of time talking about birds… I think.  There were a lot of pigeons around the restaurant and they were quite distracting because they would land on the table!  They’re just like Seagulls on the beach!  Paco seems a little too friendly and when he asked me to lunch the next 2 days I told him I was busy…. I hope he takes the hint that I don’t want to see him.


Later that night, Rocky and I went out to meet other students from our Spanish School, Solexico, for a coffee social.  Coffee Socials don’t actually involve coffee, just going to a bar and trying to talk to each other in Spanish.  On our way there, we came across a bunch of people dancing in the streets.  There was a little marching band and a few people in costumes; it was really fun to stop and watch for a little bit.
Everybody's dancing in the street.
As simple as this day sounds, all this walking is starting to wear me out…  It’s like my Freshman year in Boston all over again, when we would walk around all day and night just so we could get to know our new city.

Testing Testing, I’m just suggesting, you and I might not be the best thing,

Maria Katerina

No comments:

Post a Comment