Friday, May 30, 2014

Tuesday, May 27

Today I went to Solexico for Spanish class and I am happy to report Paco was not waiting for me when I got our of class.  We had cooking class at 2pm and learned how to make green mole.  It’s actually wicked easy… you just put every green vegetable and fruit you can find, put it in a blender and then heat it on the stove, and serve over chicken, potatoes, and green beans.  I think this is the first truly Mexican food I have tried and I really liked it!
Just letting it simmer.
Green Mole: not something I would
think to order off a menu.



After class, the cook pulled me aside and told me Paco had walked in, looked around and saw I was busy and then left….  I’m happy I didn’t see him and I’m going to count this as a Paco-free day.

Looking over the balcony at the museum.
One of the girls from our school, Noami, invited me to go to a museum with her at 4pm.  I accepted and met her at the San Pablo museum after I dropped my school stuff back at home.  The museum was not as large as I expected, but the exhibit was very interesting.  It was about preserving the languages of the world because apparently every 14 days a language goes extinct!  The indigenous language of Mexico is Zapotec, and there are so many dialects of it, and none of it even sounds like Spanish, but they had clothing with Zapotec writing stitched into the patterns, it was very pretty.  Not to mention how beautiful the museum building was.
 
American Chopped Suey





On our way out we passed by a restaurant that had Lebanese food.  It’s definitely a place I want to try, but I had hamburger sitting in my fridge that I needed to cook.  So instead, I parted ways with Noami, told her I would meet her at dance class, and headed home to cook some American Chopped Suey.  I made so much of it, that I had to freeze 2 tupperware containers because there is no way I would be able to eat that much in 1 week.

At 7pm, I went to Zumba and liked it just as much as I liked it last time.  The women are still old and the instructor is still very out of shape.  But earlier in the day I had walked up and down every street from Independence to Constitution and came up empty handed!  I’ll have to ask Mrs. Irma tomorrow to help me find a new place.

I'm pretty sure he was trying to tell me something,
but I have such a hard time understanding all
the Spanish that I just started to smile and nod.
After Zumba, I went home and got Rocky and we started trudging our way through the rain, AGAIN, to go to dance class.  Tonight we learned how to Bachata, which is a very sexy dance.  Well, it’s supposed to be sexy, I looked more like a challenged duck in a room full of graceful and sexy swans, but I tried my best and definitely did better than yesterday!
 
This is how we Bachata!
















When I got home I dug into a GIANT bowl of sweet strawberries while skyping with Gabriel.

3 mosquitoes were killed in the making of this blog post,

Maria Katerina

No comments:

Post a Comment