Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Wednesday, May 28

I need to start this blogpost by apologizing for not keeping up with my blog.  It is currently Tuesday, September 23 and I have been back in the States for almost 3 months!  I already have the bug to travel again and I was reading my journal from Oaxaca.  Although I stopped blogging, I never stopped journaling.  I have recently gotten 3 requests from people about sending my blog to other students looking to travel, and I decided I need to go back and finish this thing up.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to remember all the fun little things from the day to day life, but I took lots of photos and wrote a paragraph a day, so I'll do my best.  I expect these posts to be shorter with more photos, but I loved Oaxaca so much so I think it's important to finish this project I started 5 months ago!
Caprese Salad
Middle Eastern Pasta with "camarones"
This Wednesday started like all my other Wednesdays, with Spanish class at Solexico.  It also was Day 3 of torrential downpours.  I am so happy I packed rain boots and an umbrella.  I decided I didn't want to cook today, so I went to a little restaurant that has Italian food close to Solexico.  I ordered their Caprese Salad and MiddleEastern Pasta.  The menu was in Spanish, and as you know, my Spanish is lacking.... so my pasta had shrimp in it, even though I HATE seafood.  When reading the Menu I didn't know what "camarones" meant.... I had taken Spanish in High School and I thought "gambas" meant shrimp... apparently that is Spain Spanish not Latin American Spanish.


The movie is about to begin!



That night Rocky and I went to the Coffee Social with the other students and professors at Solexico.  This week was a little different because we went to see a movie screening at a local bar.  The movie was "Her", it was in English with Spanish Subtitles.  We ordered drinks and they passed around small bowls of popcorn.  The theater was very intimate with only like 30ppl maximum.  It was right next door to a Domino's Pizza and the smell of pizza was very enticing.  Unfortunately, the thunder made it hard to hear some parts of the movie, but it was more of a reason to read the subtitles and practice all the skills I was learning in class.



When I returned home that night, I skyped Gabriel per our usual routine.  I did something totally  crazy!  He asked me to be his girlfriend,.. and I said yes!  How many dates have I been on with this kid?! Not many!  Fun fact... we're still dating 4 months later.... I actually just got back from a week in Mexico to visit him.

Smile at the Unexpected and Be Adventurous!,
Maria Katerina

No comments:

Post a Comment