Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Monday, June 2

Breakfast to go on my first day of work....
I don't think these scrubs could get
more ugly!!!!
Today was my first day of volunteering with the Cruz Roja.... I LOVE IT THERE!!!!  When I was first deciding where I wanted to go, I was worried I wouldn't get this position because they prefer volunteers with Advanced Spanish.  My Spanish is by no means advanced... but I try hard and I think that counts for something.... apparently they did too because they accepted me!  It took me about 35minutes to walk to the hospital and then I met with the Dr. that would be showing me around.  On a typical day, there is 1 nurse and 1 doctor and 0-3 medical students... ooooh and ME :D

I don't really remember what I did at work my first day, but I do remember being overwhelmed by the Spanish.  I think having no other option than speaking in Spanish was EXTREMELY beneficial to my Spanish education.  When I got out of work, I walked to Solexico for my first conversation class.  I stopped for a lemonade at Cafe Brujula, which I got a frequent member card for, and then grabbed a torta before class.  In class everyone thought my Spanish was much better.... I don't think it was much better, I just think that after a day of ONLY speaking in Spanish, I was more comfortable with speaking it.

One day I will stop looking at my feet and actually look up while dancing with confidence.
After class I went home and changed out of my all white scrubs..... which were already dirty!  and put on some workout clothes so I could go to zumba class.  After Zumba, I went straight to the park for Cumbia Class.  I think I'm getting better at this dancing thing.  A few of the newer students from Solexico joined me and we had a ton of fun.
Even though I'm not smiling, I do really like these dancing classes and all the people I get to meet here.

la cerveza ya tequila y tu boca con la mia... ya no puedo mas,
Maria Katerina

No comments:

Post a Comment