Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tuesday, June 3

A sign hanging at the Cruz Roja.  It translates
to "How much love fits in your heart?"
I had a very eventful day at the Cruz Roja today.  Our first patient of the day had a huge abscess on their finger that needed to be drained.  The doctor told me to do it!  So I cleaned it up and poked it with a needle, but it wasn't really draining because the pus inside was too thick... so then I took a scalpel and made a small incision which finally allowed the pus to escape.  Quite a bit of pus came out and it was definitely great to perform hands on care.  The doctor stitched the patient's finger together because I have not done stitches yet.... I'm practicing with the medical students so I will be ready to stitch one of these days.

After the I&D, I went upstairs to the ophthalmology clinic.  I spent the last couple hours checking patient's blood pressure levels and discussing lifestyle changes for patient's who did have hypertension.

I grabbed a lemonade from Cafe Brujula before conversation class.  During class there was a lot of music that was getting louder and louder from outside.  When we went outside, we saw a marching band coming our way.  We took a pause from class to watch them play and parade down the rest of the street.

The Marching band as it's about to pass Solexico.
Cooking Class





Cooking Class started at 2pm.  I don't remember the name of what we made!  but it was spicy chicken with onions and peppers in a tomato based sauce wrapped in tortillas.  I didn't try it because spicy is NOT my favorite thing.











I went home and changed out of my ugly white scrubs.... I can't believe they wear white every day all day in an Emergency Department.... they just get so dirty!  That night I went with Crystal to Bachata Class.... which is by far my favorite dance!  It's very sexxy and fun!!!



Bachata... Our instructor is the guy in green.
Crystal chose not to dance, and instead she watched and was eaten alive by mosquitoes!
 Dance with me,
Maria Katerina

No comments:

Post a Comment